Matthews Delivery Service, Inc., completed the following transactions during its first month of operations for January 2012:
a. Matthews Delivery Service, Inc., began operations by receiving $6,000
cash and a truck valued at $11,000. The business issued common stock to acquire these assets.
b. Paid $300 cash for supplies.
c. Prepaid insurance, $700.
d. Performed delivery services for a customer and received $800 cash.
e. Completed a large delivery job, billed the customer $1,500, and received a promise to collect the $1,500 within one week.
f. Paid employee salary, $700.
g. Received $12,000 cash for performing delivery services.
h. Collected $600 in advance for delivery service to be performed later.
i. Collected $1,500 cash from a customer on account.
j. Purchased fuel for the truck, paying $200 with a company credit card. (Credit Accounts payable)
k. Performed delivery services on account, $900.
l. Paid office rent, $600. This rent is not paid in advance.
m. Paid $200 on account.
n. Paid cash dividends of $2,100.
1. Record each transaction in the journal. Key each transaction by its letter. Explanations are not required.
2. Post the transactions that you recorded in Requirement 1 in the T-accounts.
Unearned service revenue
3. Enter the trial balance in the worksheet for the month ended January 31, 2012.
Complete the worksheet using the adjustment data given at January 31.
a. Accrued salary expense, $700.
b. Depreciation expense, $60.
c. Prepaid insurance expired, $250.
d. Supplies on hand, $200.
e. Unearned service revenue earned during January, $500.
4. Prepare Matthews Delivery Service?s income statement and statement of
retained earnings for the month ended January 31, 2012, and the
classified balance sheet on that date. On the income statement, list
expenses in decreasing order by amount?that is, the largest expense
first, the smallest expense last.
5. Journalize and post the adjusting entries beginning with a.
6. Journalize and post the closing entries.
7. Prepare a post-closing trial balance at January 31, 2012.
Click here for the SOLUTION