Selected balance sheet accounts for Tice Company on September 30, 2010, are as follows:
Cash $ 32,000
Marketable securities 58,000
Accounts receivable, net 86,000
Prepaid expenses 14,000
Total current assets $ 280,000
Accounts payable $ 137,200
Other accrued liabilities 30,800
Short-term debt 56,000
Total current liabilities $ 224,000
Calculate the working capital, current ratio, and acid-test ratio for Tice Company as of September 30, 2010.
Summarized here are the transactions/events that took place during the fiscal year ended September 30, 2011.
1. Credit sales for the year amounted to $240,000. The cost of goods sold was $156,000.
2. Collected accounts receivable, $252,000.
3. Purchased inventory on account, $168,000.
4. Issued 500 shares of common stock for $18 per share.
5. Wrote off $7,000 of uncollectible accounts using the allowance for bad debts.
6. Declared and paid a cash dividend, $20,000.
7. Sold marketable securities costing $26,000 for $31,000 in cash.
8. Recorded insurance expense for the year, $12,000.The premium for the policy was paid in June 2010.
9. Borrowed cash on a short-term bank loan, $10,000.
10. Repaid principal of $40,000 and interest of $3,000 on a long-term bank loan.
(a) Write the journal entry(ies) for each items.
(b) Indicate the effect of each item on Tice Company\’s working capital, current ratio, and acid-test ratio. Use + for increase, – for decrease, and (NE) for no effect.
Click here for the SOLUTION