MIS 535 Week 2 Team Case Analysis
Topic : Cultivating Customers the Social Way
There are at least five sections to this assignment. Your case study should be in your own words; quote very sparingly. Be concise. This should be a 5-7 page APA paper
1. SUMMARY: Summarize the case. Identify the main point (as in “What’s your point?”), thesis, or conclusion of this case. (5 points)
2. SUPPORT: Do significant research outside of the book and demonstrate that you have in a very obvious way. This refers to research beyond article itself. This involves something about the company/organization/individual or other interesting related area. Show something you have discovered from your own research. Be sure this is obvious and adds value beyond what is contained in the case itself. (10 points)
3. EVALUATION: Apply the concepts from the appropriate chapter. Hint: The appropriate chapter is the same number as your case. Be sure to use specific terms and models directly from the textbook in analyzing this case and include the page in the citation. (15 points)
4. QUESTIONS: Address all the case questions. Be sure to answer each question fully. (15 points)
5. SOURCES: Include citations on the slides and a reference slide with your sources. Use APA style citations and references. (5 points)
The paper must be in Word and include titles corresponding to the headings above.
Case Study Cultivating Customers the Social Way
To most people, Facebook and Twitter are ways to keep in touch with friends and to let them know what they are doing. For companies of all shapes and sizes, however, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media have become powerful tools for engaging customers, amplifying product messages, discovering trends and influencers, building brand awareness, and taking action on customer requests and recommendations. Half of all Twitter users recommend products in their tweets. It has been said that social media are the world’s largest focus group, with consumers telling you what they want every single day.
About 1.3 billion people use Facebook, and more than 30 million businesses have active Brand Pages to develop “fans” of the brand by enabling users to interact with the brand through blogs, comment pages, contests, and offerings on the brand page. The Like button gives users a chance to share with their social network their feelings about content and other objects they are viewing and Web sites they are visiting. With Like buttons on millions of Web sites, Facebook can track user behavior on other sites and then sell this information to marketers. Facebook also sells display ads to firms that show up in the right column of users’ Homepages, and most other pages in the Facebook interface such as Photos and Apps.
Case Study Questions
10-15 Assess the management, organization, and technology issues for using social media to engage with customers.
10-16 What are the advantages and disadvantages of using social media for advertising, brand building, market research, and customer service?
10-17 Give some examples of management decisions that were facilitated by using social media to interact with customers.
10-18 Should all companies use Facebook and Twitter for customer service and marketing? Why or why not? What kinds of companies are best suited to use these platforms?