Sifers-Grayson (the “client”) has requested that your company research and recommend an Endpoint Protection Platform, which will provide host-based protection for the laptop PC’s used by its employees. These employees manage hardware and software development projects using a Web based project management system. The laptops are also used to access web-based corporate email servers and additional web-based applications used for internal business operations. Their laptops are running the Windows 8/8.1 operating system and cannot be upgraded to Windows 10 due to compatibility problems in a business critical, proprietary software package. The Windows 8/8.1 laptops currently use Microsoft Windows Defender and Microsoft Windows Firewall to provide host-based protection against malware, spyware, and intrusions.
The client wants an Endpoint Protection product that is easy to use, is deployable on individual laptops as host-based protection, and automatically updates itself (patches and virus definition files). The “automatic” updates could be a problem since some of the laptops are rarely connected to the company’s networks. Instead, those employees use an intermittent cellular connection to access the Internet while visiting customers or working at the engineering test range.
1. Review the Week 1 readings.
3. Choose one of the Endpoint Protection Platform products from the Gartner Magic Quadrant analysis (link provided in the weekly readings). Then, research your chosen product using the vendor’s website and product information brochures. (Vendors for highly rated products will provide a copy of Gartner’s most recent Magic Quadrant report on their websites but, registration is required.)
4. Find three or more additional sources which provide reviews for (a) your chosen product or (b) information about Endpoint Protection Platforms.
Write a 3 page summary of your research (“briefing paper”). At a minimum, your summary must include the following:
1. An introduction or overview for the security technology category (Endpoint Protection Platforms)
2. A review of the features, capabilities, and deficiencies for your selected vendor and product
3. Discussion of how the selected product could be used by your client to support its cybersecurity objectives by reducing risk, increasing resistance to threats/attacks, decreasing vulnerabilities, etc.
4. A closing section in which you restate your recommendation for a product (include the three most important benefits).
As you write your review, make sure that you address security issues using standard cybersecurity terminology (e.g. protection, detection, prevention, “governance,” confidentiality, integrity, availability, nonrepudiation, assurance, etc.). See the ISACA glossary https://www.isaca.org/pages/glossary.aspx if you need a refresher on acceptable terms and definitions.
Use standard APA formatting for the MS Word document that you submit to your assignment folder. Formatting requirements and examples are found under Course Resources > APA Resources.