1. Cells with the same structures and functions work together to form
2. Allergies are caused by which of the following?
A. Autoimmune diseases
B. Reactions to antigens
C. Ingesting IgA in breast milk
D. Strong toxins in the environment
3. Smooth muscle is sometimes called visceral muscle because it
A. isn’t involved in movement.
B. lacks striations.
C. is voluntary.
D. is found in organs.
4. Which of the following is the largest?
5. What is the most common protein in the body?
6. In vitro fertilization takes place in
A. a surrogate mother.
B. the uterus.
C. a laboratory.
D. the vagina.
7. Which of the following is correct regarding the blind spot?
A. It’s caused by a nontransparent area on the lens.
B. It’s an area of the retina where there are no rods or cones.
C. It’s caused by a nontransparent area on the cornea.
D. It’s an area of the retina where rods and cones are concentrated.
8. Which of the following animals has a single-loop closed circulatory system?
9. During plant development, one function of the cotyledon of a eudicot is to
A. supply food to the developing embryo.
B. become the seed coat.
C. protect the embryo as it develops inside a seed.
D. serve as a leaf to carry on photosynthesis.
10. Which of the following best states the purpose of villi?
A. Increase the synthesis of enzymes
B. Increase surface area for purposes of absorption
C. Speed up the elimination of wastes
D. Speed up the loss of water from the body
11. Which one of the following components makes up the largest portion of plasma?
12. In the process of embryonic development, which stage comes first?
13. Which one of the following statements is true regarding voluntary and involuntary responses?
A. Voluntary responses control the activity of glands.
B. Involuntary responses are part of the autonomic system.
C. Involuntary responses may include the spinal cord and not the brain.
D. Voluntary responses originate in the sensory receptors.
14. During development, an embryo is embedded in the A. ovary. B. endometrium. C. cervix. D. vagina.
15. Which series best illustrates the pathway of blood flow in a closed circulatory system?
A. Heart, arteries, capillaries, veins
B. Heart, arteries, veins, capillaries
C. Heart, veins, arteries, capillaries
D. Heart, veins, capillaries, arteries
16. Annual rings in woody stems are caused by an increase in rings of the
A. secondary xylem.
B. secondary phloem.
C. primary phloem.
D. primary xylem.
17. What happens when the lungs recoil?
A. Expiration occurs.
B. The rib cage moves up.
C. Inspiration occurs.
D. Ribs and diaphragm muscles contract.
18. Which one of the following statements accurately describes a characteristic of red blood cells?
A. They’re convex disks with a large nucleus.
B. They’re agents of inflammation.
C. They transport oxygen to all the cells of the body.
D. They lack hemoglobin.
19. Which of these structures transports sugars from the leaves to the roots?
20. _______ tissue in plants is similar to animal organs.