1. Which of the following is an example of a group of prokaryotic organisms? A. Archaea B. Eukarya C. Fungi D. Protists
2. _______ capture their prey with a ring of stinging tentacles. A. Pseudocoelomates B. Arthropods C. Cnidarians D. Annelids
3. Both insects and roundworms exhibit ______, whereas sponges, snails, and leeches do not.
A. molting during growth B. calcium carbonate shells C. sexual reproduction D. sensory perception
4. Spherically shaped bacteria are known as A. cocci. B. spirilla. C. bacilli. D. spirochetes.
5. Which of the following is not an example of a service provided by beneficial bacteria? A. Food production B. Bioaccumulation C. Bioremediation D. Nutrient cycling
6. Which of the following is not a characteristic of Arthropods that has attributed to their diversity and success? A. Highly developed nervous system B. Segmentation C. Endoskeleton D. Jointed appendages
7. The distinction between protostomes and deuterostomes is based on differences in their A. circulatory systems. B. nervous systems. C. embryological development. D. digestive tracts.
8. The tail bone of humans is an example of a/an _______ structure. A. analogous B. developmental C. vestigial D. homologous
9. What is the function of a nematocyst? A. Sensory perception B. Prey capture C. Digestion D. Locomotion
10. What happens when previous adaptations are no longer suitable for changes in the environment? A. Evolution B. Extinction C. Adaptations D. Artificial selection
11. Angiosperms may use any of the following to disperse pollen except A. insects. B. water. C. wind. D. animals.
12. In evolution, the study of vertebrate forelimbs is related to _______ evidence. A. anatomical B. biochemical C. biogeographical D. fossil
13. According to the theory of evolution, birds’ feathers evolved from A. fish fins. B. reptile scales. C. gill arches. D. gill slits.
14. The most diverse and prevalent organisms on earth are A. vertebrates. B. bacteria. C. insects. D. mammals.
15. Allen and Rose are discussing saprotrophs. Allen says saprotrophic fungi decompose the remains of animals and plants. Rose says saprotrophic fungi remove excess lignin from paper pulp. Who is correct? A. Only Allen is correct. B. Only Rose is correct. C. Both Allen and Rose are correct. D. Neither is correct.
16. In the evolutionary adaptation sense, what is fitness? A. The larger size of an individual B. The strength of an individual C. The reproductive success of an individual D. The ability of an individual to survive
17. Which one of the following statements presents a condition required for the Hardy-Weinberg principle to be in effect? A. Random mating occurs. B. Genetic drift occurs. C. Mutations are present. D. Gene flow is present.
18. What organisms can live in hot springs and thermal vents? A. Protists B. Eukaryotes C. Archaea D. Algae
19. A chart that illustrates a series of species with their common ancestor is called a A. karyotype. B. phylogenetic tree. C. pedigree. D. cladogram.
20. _______ isolation occurs when two species occupy different habitats within the same geographical range. A. Mechanical B. Behavioral C. Temporal D. Habitat