RES/342 FINAL EXAMINATION
1. For which of the following values of the smoothing constant a will the smoothed series catch up most quickly whenever the original time series changes direction?
2. From the coefficient of multiple determination, we cannot detect the strength of the relationship between the dependent variable y and any individual independent variable.
3. When using the least squares method, the column of residuals always sums to zero.
4. In a simple linear regression model, testing whether the slope B1 of the population regression line could be zero is the same as testing whether or not the population coefficient of correlation p equals zero.
5. If the Durbin-Watson statistic has a value close to 0, which assumption is violated?
a. Independence of errors
b. Normality of the errors
d. None of these
6. Statistical methods that requires few assumptions, if any, about the population distribution are known as
a. Free agent techniques
b. Nonparametrics techniques
c. Parametrics techniques
d. All of these
7. A random variables follows the student’s t distribution. The probability that it will be positive is
a. less than 0.50
8. The use of the student’s t distribution requires which of the following assumptions?
a. The population is normal
b. The sample is drawn from a positively skewed distribution
c. The sample size is greater than 30
d. The population variance is known
9. In two-factor ANOVA, the MSE must always be positive, but MSA or MSB may be negative
10. Main effects are simpler to interpret when the test of the interaction term is not significant in a two-factor ANOVA.
11. When the problem objective is to compare more than two populations, the experimental design that is the counterpart of the match pairs experiments is called randomized block design
12. If a sociologist wishes to determine if there is evidence that average family in a community exceeds $47,000 a two-tailed test should be used.
13. 100 women were polled and 60 reported succesfully communicating an automobile problem to an auto repairman. A sample of 150 men had 95 reporting the same success. The value of the test statistic for a test of a equality of proportions is
b. 0. 2702
c. -0. 5319
d. 0. 7293
Click here for the SOLUTION