1. (TCO A) Which of the following decisions require knowledge based on collaboration and interaction? (Points : 4)
How long will it take to manufacture this product?
Should we work with outside vendors on new products and services?
In which geographical locations are our products garnering the most sales?
Which product design is the most efficient for the user in terms of energy use?
1. (TCO A) The costs for firms operating on a global scale have been drastically reduced by (Points : 4)
investments in organizational complementary assets.
the rise of digital content.
1. (TCO A) Which of the following objectives best describes the business strategy behind the development of smart grid initiatives by power companies, as discussed in the chapter case?
2. (TCO B) Which of the following businesses use the market creator business model? (Points : 5)
an online auction house
an online newspaper
a video-sharing site
an online bookseller
2. (TCO B) ________ are visual tools for presenting performance data in a BI system. (Points : 5)
Dashboards and scorecards
Reports and the drill-down feature
Scenarios and models
2. (TCO B) Which of the following describes how the Simon framework of decision making works in high-velocity decision environments? (Points : 5)
all four steps of the process are handled by software algorithms; humans are eliminated from the decisions because they are too slow
the first three steps of the process are handled by software algorithms and the final step is handled by experienced managers
the first two steps of Simon’s framework are eliminated and the final steps are handled by software algorithms
all four steps are performed by humans with the support of high-speed, high-volume DSS and ESS
3. (TCO C) The type of logical database model that treats data as if they were stored in two-dimensional tables is the (Points : 4)
3. (TCO C) A field identified in a record as holding the unique identifier for that record is called the (Points : 4)
4. (TCO D) The telephone system is an example of a ________ network. (Points : 4)
4. (TCO D) To use the analog telephone system for sending digital data, you must also use (Points : 4)
5. (TCO E) Enterprise applications have become easier to install because: (Points : 5)
they have been reduced in function
vendors have modularized the applications so they can be rolled out a module at a time
vendors have changed their design to make the application more adaptable to diverse business processes
Users have become more familiar with how to use the applications
5. (TCO E) Which of the following factors provides an understanding of why computing resources today are ever more available than in previous decades? (Points : 5)
law of mass digital storage and Moore’s law
declining communications costs, universal standards, and the Internet
all of the above
6. (TCO F) Agile Methodologies (Points : 4)
were developed because traditional methodologies did not work
because software development is unlike any other development activity
users seldom know what they want when the project starts
all of the above
7. (TCO G) A salesperson clicks repeatedly on the online ads of a competitor in order to drive the competitor’s advertising costs up. This is an example of (Points : 4)
1. (TCO A) You work for an auto manufacturer and distributor. How could you use information systems to achieve greater customer intimacy?
2. (TCO A) You have been hired to work with 10 salespeople from different branches of a national business in creating an online training site for new Sales employees. Identify six collaboration tools that are available to help the team work together. Which single tool would be the most helpful for the project, in your opinion, and why?
3. (TCO A) Assess at least two benefits of using enterprise systems. Append
4. (TCO B) You are advising the owner of Small town Computer, a new, local computer repair store that also builds custom computers to order. What competitive strategies could Small town Computer exert? Which ones will it have difficulty exercising?
5. (TCO B) Describe four types of application that are especially well-suited for mobile-commerce
6. (TCO B)You are evaluating BI software from a variety of vendors. Identify six elements in the BI environment. Use your understanding of the importance of these elements to formulate six questions to ask the vendor in order to determine how their software will interplay with your needs.
7. (TCO C) If you were to design the new contracts database for a publishing house what fields do you anticipate needing? Which of these fields might be in use in other databases used by the company?
8. (TCO C) What types of relationships are possible in a relational database? Describe and give an example of each.
9. (TCO C) Describe the ways in which database technologies could be used by an office stationery supply company to achieve low-cost leadership
10. (TCO D) How are RFID systems used in inventory control and supply chain management?
11. (TCO D) What is cloud computing and how do you think its developments could impact businesses?
12. (TCO D) What are the business advantages of using voice over IP (VOIP) technology?
13. (TCO E) Distinguish between grid computing, cloud computing, and utility computing.
14. (TCO E) What additional complexities are faced in global supply chains? How does the Internet help in managing global supply chains?
15. (TCO E) Explain why standards are so important in information technology? What standards have been important for the growth of Internet technologies?
16. (TCO F) Differentiate between intangible and tangible benefits and list three examples of each. In what types of systems are intangible benefits more predominant?
17. (TCO F) You have been hired as a consultant for a nationwide real estate firm, Cross & Deptford, who are interested in achieving better organization between branches by updating their information systems, but are not sure what will suit their needs. What will you recommend they do in order to determine the most effective IT projects?
18. (TCO F) What qualities of object-oriented development make this method especially suitable for Internet applications?
19. (TCO G) Define the basic concept of responsibility, accountability, and liability as applied to ethical decision. How are these concepts related?
20. (TCO G) How is the security of a firm’s information system and data affected by its people, organization, and technology? In the contribution of one of these dimensions any more important than the other? Why?
21. (TCO G) Discuss the issue of security challenges on the Internet as that issue applies to a global enterprise. List at least 5 Internet security challenges